Sunday, September 11, 2011

Things You Might Not Know...


I was in the worst mood on my way into work today but, as soon as I pulled onto the street my school was on, I felt calm and almost still. The entire street was lined with American Flags! Beautiful!

Day to day conversations with Adam or I probably don’t go into detail and there are Some Things You Might Not Know…

Compared to most in our generation Adam and I are pretty “into” politics. We love to discuss, learn, and challenge each other and other people when it comes to the laws and views of others. If you were to judge us by our “covers”, I can tell you right now that you would be WRONG!

I am obviously a huge supporter of the environment, education, and animals. I try to live in a free and natural world without chemicals/pesticides. I was raised in a non-judgmental family. Growing up my parents never questioned religion of others, race, ethnicity, etc… I was always encouraged to hang out with who I wanted and see the world. Knowing my background & family, seeing me happy and bubbly talking about the latest celebrity gossip, and knowing I’m a teacher; you would assume I am very liberal and left….not so much:)

Adam was raised in Arizona (always known for being a more conservative state) in a small, private Christian school setting. He was mostly surrounded by upper middle class Caucasians who basically had the same home life as himself. His father was a small business owner, as well as most people in his family and most of his friend’s parents. Seeing him on a day to day basis and knowing his background you would think he is extremely conservative and right….not so much:)

The truth is Adam has grown and has taken on many political and personal views that can sometimes be liberal, but he doesn’t ever stray from his conservative roots either! I have grown into my own shell and surprisingly strayed from my parents and taken on a more conservative view! Very Interesting! We cross the line between republican & democrat all the time. I love to use Meghan McCain’s term “moderate republican.” We believe in human right and equality, education, and the environment (me more). We also believe in being fiscally conservative and that America was built on the dream of enterepranualism.

My biggest republican view comes into play when talking about the military. I am a HUGE supporter of our troops. Adam & I believe war is an action we have to take at points and I am so VERY grateful for the men and women who choose to protect our freedom…something that many American’s take for granted. We’re the country we are today because of these heroes. It’s a dangerous and selfless job that many people are not brave enough to do.

I love seeing them walk through buildings, stores, and airports in uniform. I love when they can board planes early, get preferred seating at an event, and in rare yet thrilling circumstances, receive rounds of applause.

I love people taking pride in our country. I love seeing them holding the flag while we play the national anthem. I always stop and stand still no matter where I am when I hear it. I love seeing people who keep their flags up year round and not just on certain holidays. Most of al I love the camaraderie that troops, the flag, and specials days like today bring. 9.11 is such bittersweet day …it took such a horrific event to help people put down their judgments and political views and band together. Be at peace today.


1 comment:

  1. HA! I always pegged you a republican...I can sniff your type out a mile away... JK I am also an oxymoron...I am a conservative democrat :)

    ReplyDelete